Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Noisy Friarbird

This post is for Wild Bird Wednesday. 

Noisy Friarbirds (Philemon corniculatus) are very common birds in my backyard.  They are definitely very noisy birds and this is a link to their sounds.  However,  I prefer the common name that I learnt as a child - Leatherhead.  This bird is not beautiful and neither is its call a beautiful melodious song. However,  I love them because they remind me of summer holidays when I was young.  We used to tent in sandy country just behind a beach.  There were lots of banksia trees all around and the Leatherheads were in the trees.  I remember waking up to their noisy chatterings every morning.  What could be nicer!
These birds are in a Grevillea tree in my backyard.  They share it with Blue Honeyeaters and Rainbow Lorikeets and other occasional bird visitors.


24 comments:

  1. A great bird to see and great shots. Maybe not so good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool looking bird and your "Leatherhead" is a great name for them. Wonderful photos, Mick! Thanks for sharing your WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe not beautiful, but impressive. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River,. Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool birds! i like 'leatherhead'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an interesting looking bird, they look like they would be loud!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the eyeballs. wow!! awesome views. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures you show of a bird I have never seen before :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow tjis is one of the coolest birds I ever seen! Great shots!! /Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leather-head! I like that. Pretty they are not!

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe not beautiful, but still an interesting-looking bird. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, fantastic shots of the red eye Mick. Very prehistoric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It kind of has a vulture head, and a hawk's red eyes..I have never seen anything like that...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great bird, Mick! Another I've never seen before. These images are lovely & clear.
    We have a Grevillea in our back yard but it mainly attracts the Rainbow Lorikeets & Honeyeaters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, is it really common in your backyard? Never seen like it before. Looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A really interesting bird (with piercing red eye), great pictures and thanks for the link to the bird "song".

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's an amazing bird and in the "non-cute" category I think it even beats our Florida woodstork. But I love your Leatherhead, just as I love our ungainly stork. You got wonderful pictures (as usual).

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is an interesting bird! Lovely closeups!

    ReplyDelete
  18. superb snaps...fiery looking bird!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cool looking bird Mick! You got some great shots there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh you got such great close-ups of him; I've only seen that at quite a distance; you HEAR them first!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just seen a couple in my front yard.. I live in mount isa far north west Queensland never seen them out this way before..

    ReplyDelete