Sunday, February 21, 2010

Varied Sittella

I always enjoy the bay in the early morning.
When the tide is out the sand flats and puddles take on the colors of the sky.
Early morning can also be a good time to find some birds that are difficult to see later in the day. I have been out with other birders when they have called out... "Varied Sittella" ... but I have never had more than a brief glimpse of an LBJ ('little brown job') high in the trees and moving so fast it was impossible to properly ID it. This morning, however, there was a group of these birds sitting high in the trees - but sitting still and enjoying the early sunlight. Two of the birds were sitting close on a branch and preening each other. Varied Sittella (Daphoenositta chrysoptera) are tiny - only 10-12cm. The ones I saw were the white-headed form that occurs in SE Queensland and E. New South Wales.
For more bird photos visit the Bird Photography Weekly.

17 comments:

  1. You are very lucky to get them.Great job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Neil. You know how I complain about the LBJ's. I was lucky this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Boobook, I really don't know as they are the first I have seen properly. There were at least 6 of them in the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well captured with your LBJs. It is fascinating watching birds preen each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! great find, I love those little guys. Tiny and soo cute! Nice photos, Mick :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting John and JN. Its always nice to see a new bird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely set of photos Mick, we'll have to keep a look out for them when we're next in the SE - they're not a species we're familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barbara, according Slater the Striated form should be more common up your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness....these birds are adorable. They don't even look real--they look like fluffy little stuffed animals! Very cute...

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're so beautiful! Thanks for sharing. :) Nice blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting and commenting Kelly and Lana

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, what do they say, you have to be an "early bird" to see it. :)I am currently trying to make myself wake up early in teh mornings. To get ready for bird season. :)

    And find new one that is sitting nicely, that is great. The two looks almosat owl-like where they sit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots, Mick! Congrats on the find and viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun, to both see these cute fluffy birds and have them perch and preen for you! I think maybe your LBJ future looks brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to all who have commented. Its great to be able to share our photos across the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mick
    I'm with Boobook - I'd vote for juvenile birds, and a then other family members making up the group numbers.
    Their nests are tiny, so they would be unlikely to all be juveniles. But the adults do hang around in family groups.
    Nice find, anyway.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for that link back to your photo Denis. The nest certainly is tiny. I'm just glad they all sat still long enough for me to get some good looks at them and some photos.

    ReplyDelete