Monday, March 16, 2009

Vagrant at Inskip

Yesterday afternoon was a very low tide so I went out to Inskip Point and walked out onto the sand flats to see how much of the sand island was left. Quite a lot of sand has gone from what used to be the highest parts of the island and it looks as if it will only come out of the water on the lower tides. However, I have since been told that this has happened before and it has always built up again. I hope so!
Looking back towards the point with a fishing boat
going out through the channel

and one of the barges that takes cars over to Fraser island.
Fraser Island is in the background.
There was a small flock of terns roosting out on the edge of the sand and as I went closer I saw one bird that didn't fit in. I walked very slowly closer and the terns did not disturb but the strange black bird did! However, I managed some distant photos - enough to give me an ID. It was a Noddy - I think a juvenile Black (or White-capped) Noddy (Anous minutus). These birds are from the tropics and seldom get down this far. Sometimes big storms blow them down here - so I guess cyclone Hamish did one interesting thing for me! The first photo is of the Noddy and a juvenile Crested Tern.
For more bird photographs visit the Bird Photography Weekly.

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful spot Mick of a great looking bird - well done you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tricia,I was in the right place at the right time I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to catch something new for your local list. I'm no expert, but think it's unlikely to be juvenile, which Pizzey&Knight show as having white head forward of eyes. Full white head apparently develops with maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony, thanks for the suggestion. Its a bit difficult when this is the only one I have seen. Slater was not use at all so I consulted my Hanzab - but even then I'm not sure. I need a full library of books for ID!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to get a new species, Mick.
    Well done.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great capture Mick! Nice to have a find like that, they are few and far between. It sure is exciting when it happens though. Cool looking bird too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on capturing a rare bird, Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denis, Larry, and Bob and Cynthia, its great to see a new species and especially one that is uncommon for this area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when something unusual pops up in unexpected places. And such a nice looking bird, too. I'm glad you got the chance to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your post very interesting, and I like your vagrant bird, the Noddy. I'm glad you saw it and were able to come away with some beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice shots Mick, even from a distance! I would like to see a Noddy. :)

    Birding In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for commenting Sparverius, April and BirdingMaine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an attractive bird. Congrats on the find! I can't even imagine being that lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is certainly one of many things I love about storms. They bring the birds down where we can see them. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete