Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Change from Birds

I am not arachnophobic! However, I don't go looking for spiders and I certainly don't admire them and take photos of them. But I guess there's a first time for everything and this little spider looked so pretty among the leaves and white flowers. I went on to the University of Southern Queensland guide for finding spiders and I think it might be Thomisus spectabilis - the Flower Spider. I found it in my sister's garden in Esk. The guide says its toxicity is "unknown" - but I don't think I would want to find out for myself! Any further information would be welcome.

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm! Doubt it while there are enough birds around to keep me interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unknown suggests they've never bitten anyone hard enough to be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tony - Hopefully you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mick
    Spiders have one advantage - you can often get very close to them.
    Stunning close-up you managed there. Lovely photo.

    Mosura and I both recommend the Chew Family's website. "Brisbane Spiders and Insects"
    Also Nick Monaghan's "Unseen Life" has little text, but great photos. Another Brisbanite.
    http://lifeunseen.com/index1.php

    Seems creepy-crawlies are big up there.

    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denis, thanks for both of those sites. I had already looked at the one that Mosura listed and they are both very interesting. The photos on the 'Unseen Life' site are stunning. It's certainly a whole new world to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Mick,
    Come on now, that's a beautiful little creature.
    I think Mosura might be right, as I see in your reply to Denis, "..a whole new world to explore".
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gouldiae - yes - I agree that one is beautiful - but - I think I shall still stay away from the big black hairy ones :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of us can't help being hairy, Mick. :-)

    ReplyDelete