Sunday, October 19, 2008

Inskip Point

I had an interesting walk out at Inskip Point yesterday afternoon. The tide was higher than I had expected it to be so the only birds I saw were right up on the point where all the traffic goes. It always surprises me how many birds use the area despite the number of vehicles and people all around them.
The first waders I saw were Red-capped Plovers and Red-necked Stint busily hunting for food in an area of very soft sand. These are the Red-necked Stint.
There was one Eastern Curlew which definitely didn't want me to come any closer.
There was a juvenile Crested Tern that really didn't know what it should and should not be eating. This fish is poisonous and if it had managed to swallow it the result would be disastrous.
Then I spotted a single Whimbrel and tried to get closer to get a good photo but it was even more timid than the Eastern Curlew.
While I was slowly trying to get closer another bird flew in and landed close by. This was a juvenile Bar-tailed Godwit – the first I have seen this season. They leave the arctic some weeks after the adults have left. The plumage of the juveniles has quite a different pattern. They only keep this plumage for a few months after they reach here and then molt into the typical adult patterns. I will include a photo of an adult for comparison taken a few weeks ago.
The best sighting of the afternoon was when I was walking back to the car park along the bush track from the point. Unfortunately my attention was in the tree-tops where I could hear birds. I heard a rustle in the grass very close to my feet and was just in time to see Black-breasted Button-quail scurry into the longer grass. I was too slow getting the camera up to take any photos but it certainly made a nice end to the afternoon walk.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, how I wish I could go for a walk like that Mick, I've yet to see a migratory wader this season, snipe excepted of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Duncan. The snipe are the only ones that are not common here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great birds as usual!

    I just has a look at Inskip Point on Google Maps. Do you ever take the kayak across to Fraser Island or is that not an option?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mosura, I'm sure it would be possible to kayak over there but that is a fairly small channel for a lot of water to funnel in and out of and I don't like having to watch tidal currants. More to the point I prefer easy paddling! Oh yes - I have never seen any birds roosting in that immediate area either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super walk, Mick. And at least you got to see one of those so elusive Back-breasteds. More than I ever did in my searches there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tony, don't go looking for them and they appear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mick - it's always so interesting to hear about the birds you have over there. I enjoyed your walk with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day Mick.
    I'm with Duncan - what a walk! Thanks for the great report,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tricia and Gouldiae for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mick
    Nice report. Loved the story of the surprise of the Button-Quail. Things like that make for a great blog, despite the lack of pictures. My mind takes me there, with you.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Denis but I photo - sometime! - would sure be nice.

    ReplyDelete