Monday, September 15, 2008

Early Morning on the Bay

Early morning on the bay is a particularly beautiful time of the day. As the sun comes up everything is tinted silver. With the tide half out and the sand flats exposed every little puddle becomes a silver mirror. This is how the bay looked the other morning.
Cooloola Cove end of the Tin Can Bay Inlet - looking north
Cooloola Cove end of the Tin Can Bay Inlet- looking south
This gum tree was hanging down over the sand. It's roots had been partly loosened by storms this last winter which cut soil away from the shoreline. As I watched a group of little birds flew hurriedly out from among the flowers. They sat on another tree a few metres away and chattered noisily for a few minutes then flew back in among the flowers. Then again they all flew quickly off. This time I saw that there was something bigger in the tree which was scaring the smaller birds. I watched and finally saw that a couple of Noisy Friarbirds were also enjoying the flowers but when the little birds – Brown Honeyeaters – came too close they were chasing them off. I had not seen Noisy Friarbirds do this before, but in my garden they are better matched for size and apparently aggression with the Blue-faced Honeyeaters and Rainbow Lorikeets.
Noisy FriarbirdBrown Honeyeater

5 comments:

  1. Looks kuke the start of a oerfect day. Raining again here.

    Are they little mangrove seedings coming up om the sand/mud flats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I wrote that. I hope you can make sense of it. I'm off to see about getting a finger transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries,Mosura! I'm chuckling because I had a conversation with someone just a few days ago about reading what was being written when one had misplaced a hand on the keyboard!
    Yes, those are mangroves coming up on the sand flats. It seems to me there are more of those little plants in the five year I have been up here - so maybe the bay is silting up slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, I saw something similar in St.George at dawn with a large honeyeater harrassing a sizeable flock of dusky woodswallows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Arija, thanks for your comment. It seems strange to me when the tree is full of blossom and there seems enough for all - but I guess its territorial.

    ReplyDelete